Hair straightening irons provide that straight look so many women crave. However, the heat emanating from the process can be very detrimental to the health of hair. When we don't care for hair before straightening it we run the risk that the heat from the straightener penetrates the hair cuticle and burns it, causing it to become withered and porous.
Steps to follow:
1. To care for your hair before straightening you must first wash it with special shampoo according to your hair type. Thoroughly wash your hair, if possible shampoo twice so that it is completely free of debris and oils. Then apply conditioner from the middle to tips and remove with cold water.
2. After your hair is clean, apply a moisturizing hair mask. This will moisturize your hair before straightening it and so reduce the impact or dryness that may be caused by the straightener. Ideally, you should apply the mask, let it stand for 20 minutes and then remove with cool water.
3. To care for your hair before straightening it is important to know that you should never straighten your hair when wet. The intense heat of the straightener on wet hair is equivalent to grabbing a lock of hair and throwing it in a pan with boiling oil. It is best to dry your hair with cold air from the dryer or wait for it to dry in the wind and then straighten it.
5. Detangle your hair before straightening, detangle each strand before using the straightener. When there are knots in the hair and we use the straightener, it is likely that the hair will split or the knot becomes worse. To avoid this, use a comb with thick and separate bristles that will leave your hair free of even the smallest knot.
7. The straightener you choose is very important to protect your hair before straightening. Ideally, you should have a straightener with ceramic plates because they offer better protection for hair from heat. It should also be medium width, neither too wide nor too thin, so you can manipulate and reach all parts of your hair.
8. Finally, it is good to know that you should divide the hair well before straightening. Straightening thick strands will not help you get the look you want. It is advisable to straighten thin strands and do not use the iron more than three times over each strand.